Park Ridge-Niles School District 64 heads back to class Aug. 21
Updated: September 24, 2012 6:06AM
About 4,300 students will return to class in Park Ridge-Niles School District 64 when the new school year begins Aug. 21.
Elementary-school students in grades 1-5 will attend from 1-3:30 p.m. and middle school students in grades 6-8 will attend from 12:30-3 p.m. Kindergartners will follow an orientation schedule provided to each student.
This year all students learned their teacher and classroom assignments through the mail.
In preparation for the new school year, District 64 is providing families with a few tips to ensure a smooth transition:
• Rehearse the day-to-day essentials. Preview the daily school schedule, including early-release Wednesdays.
• Plan a safe route to school. For students who do not ride the bus, establish a carpool or consider walking or biking to and from school with others in the neighborhood. Always follow the school’s designated safe walking route that shows crossing guard locations.
• Review the safety guidelines around school. Learn drop-off, pickup and parking zones, and make sure caregivers and other occasional drivers are aware of them, too.
• Subscribe to the school’s email list for newsletters and announcements. Email lists can be found on the individual school websites, which can be accessed through www.d64.org.
Each school will also conduct a Curriculum Night for parents to get an overview of what their children will be learning during the 2012-13 school year. The schedule is:
• Carpenter School, 6 p.m. Aug. 30.
• Field School, 6 p.m. Aug. 23 for grades K, 3 and 5; 6 p.m. Aug. 28 for grades 1, 2, and 4.
• Franklin School, 5 p.m. Aug. 28 for kindergartners and new families; 6 p.m. for grades 1-2; 6:30 p.m. for grades 3-4; and 7 p.m. for grade 5.
• Roosevelt School, 6 p.m. Aug. 28 for grades 3-5; and Sept. 6 for grades K-2.
• Washington School, 6:30 p.m. Sept. 6.
• Emerson Middle School, 6:30 p.m. for grade 6, and 7 p.m. for grades 7-8, on Sept. 5.
• Lincoln Middle School, 7 p.m. Aug. 30.
In addition, Jefferson School will conduct a parent orientation at 1 p.m. Aug. 23.