Ashes blamed for Park Ridge garage fire
Park Ridge firefighters stand in the yard of the home at 108 Wisner after battling a fire there Sept. 25. | Curtis Lehmkuhl~Sun-Times Media
Updated: November 5, 2012 10:48AM
PARK RIDGE — Ashes from a fire pit are blamed for a fire that damaged a two-car garage in Park Ridge on the afternoon of Sept. 29, according to officials.
Park Ridge Deputy Fire Chief Jeff Sorensen said the ashes had been improperly disposed inside a combustible garbage can which was next to the detached garage on the 200 block of North Merrill Avenue.
The fire caused damage to the wall of the garage as well as the roof and rafters, Sorensen said.
“It went up the outside of the south wall, into the soffit and into the attic of the garage,” he said of the fire.
The blaze did not damage a vehicle parked inside the garage, though smoke may have entered the interior through an open window, Sorensen said.